I'm sitting in our upstairs apartment sipping cocoa. Gary is across the room in bed reading and Nathaniel and Bethany are in their downstairs room asleep. I cannot believe how contented I am here 2,000 miles away from all I've known and love! It's amazing. Gary and I were talking about how God has established our family and has taken the American culture out of us, in the past 16 years of marriage, to the point where it doesn't really make a huge difference where we are in the world, our faith and our family life remains intact and actually very much the same. I was hoping that's the way it would be and I am so relieved and joyful that it is true in reality.
Having said all of that, we are not just snuggling into this historic Mexican home but we have been out and about nearly every day making discoveries, learning the language, and enjoying the Mexican people. Today was certainly no exception!
These past couple of days have been amazing! Yesterday we began the day by going to the downtown Mercado. We had been there twice before but this time we were going to attempt to buy some groceries. The first thing to do was to find a bolsa to stuff full of peppers, spices, fresh fruit and other goodies. When I finally did find a bolsa I ended up buying two because I couldn't decide between pink and red! :-) Choices choices choices!
We filled our bolsas and then started the journey up up UP the street back home. It was an incredible work out as we once again walked the 50% incline but only this time carrying two large bolsas of fresh produce! Hmm maybe we won't miss the gym after all!
After we ate some comida, Gary and I took a taxi back to the walmart owned store in order to buy more staples that will carry us until we can locate everything in the massive market stalls. This was a big step for us because Nathaniel and Bethany were too tired to come along with us so they stayed home alone for the first time since we arrived in Mexico. It was difficult on this mom but we all did fine during our first two hour separation. Gary and I took a taxi, which is always an adventure in Taxco. The taxi drivers are so nice and helpful though. I am not really afraid of all this crazy driving because mostly everyone is very polite and doesn't drive really fast. It's more the terrain that is crazy than the drivers.
In the evening we all relaxed up on the terrace as the sun set over Taxco!
I just LOVE your writing style! :D
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to know you're enjoying Taxco, I miss it already!